commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Essl <christiane...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] HiveMind ideas
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:31:11 GMT
Hallo,
Congratulations that Hivemind is back. Sorry that I haven't mailed before,
but I was very busy and wasn't checking for HiveMind that often anymore.
Especially I want to apologize with Howard, whoes mail I must have
overseen.

>>> - Why use Javassist instead of dynamic proxies?
> I am yet to explore Javassist, but would certainly like to see some
> comments comparing it to Cglib2. I have seen some great reviews for it
> and not to mention its widespread use in other products.

In most cases I'm not a big fan of JavaAssist interceptors too.
Furtunately HiveMind is very flexible. There is nothing which prevents an
InterceptorFactory to return a dynamic-proxy, cglib-proxy etc. Maybe this
could be better documented. However if you use this aproach you have the
full dyna-proxy overhead for each interceptor. Therefore other
aop-frameworks (Nanning, Dynaop, Spring - all use cglib) use interceptor
chains. And of course this frameworks bring other stuff as well.

So what I imagine is an interceptor-factory which uses one of this
aop-frameworks (my favorite would be dynaop) and is itself configured by a
config-point. This would than be quite easy to use and would give HiveMind
state-of-the-art AOP for nearly nothing. Such an aproach would also make
HiveMind more ready to use normal Beans.

Interceptor-ordering:
Maybe a quick help would be to make the ordering-categories more explicit
in the xml-config. So that you could use something like this: <interceptor
service-id=".." order="security">. Maybe the ServiceInterceptorFactories
could even provide a default-value.

--
Christian Essl