commons-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: [cli] v1 & v2 API compatibility
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:59:58 GMT
John Keyes wrote:

> I spent today looking at realizing the v1 API with the v2 runtime.
> After making some progress, I started to wonder was there any compeling
> reason to do so.
>
> Therefore, I propose to branch the v1 code and put it into maintanence
> mode.  This will allow us to merge the v2 branch to the mainline
> (assuming it gets approval). I don't see this as being much of an
> overhead but I would like to hear what others think before putting this
> to a vote.  I assume a decision of this nature requires a vote as it is
> almost like proposing a new subproject.
>
> This would also allow us to keep the org.apache.commons.cli package for
> both versions.
>
> Comments?

I don't know how many people use CLI v1, but this kind of action can have a
huge ripple effect.

IMO making backward incompatible changes should be deprecated :-), if the
API can't be maintained you should use a different package name ( like
cli2 ), to allow people to keep using both versions at the same time.

Since the apis are incompatible and users who chose to upgrade will have to
change code anyway - this just add a bit more inconvenience, but at least
avoid the "upgrade everything or nothing because one small library change".

Costin