commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: [configuration] Roadmap
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:44:49 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> I have another idea: We stay with the current class, but change its
> configuration files. We could define factory elements:
>
> <factory type="xml"
> className="org.apache.commons.configuration.DOMConfiguration" />
>
> and use them now in config elements:
>
> <config type="xml" fileName="conf/test.xml" [at="mail"] />

I realized, that such a config element must be defined more general:

<config type="xml" uri="file:/conf/test.xml" [at="mail"] />
or
<config type="ldap" uri="ldap:ou=acme, ..." [at="mail"] />
or
<config type="db" uri="jdbc:...:table#column#key" [at="mail"] />

in the end the factory has to know its own URI ...

> Then we could deprecate all of the current elements reading a
> configuration and may provide a DTD even if a customer writes his own
> configuration format. Additionally we remove the direct dependency for all
> the implementations from the ConfigurationFactory (no DOM4J, no DB, no
> JNDI if not used or needed).
>
> What do you think? IMHO better now than after release.

Regards,
Jörg