commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: thoughts on subversion (was - Re: xdocs/ missing?)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:46:29 GMT

My experiment-environment osjava.org has just moved to it and I'm finding
that it is largely a seamless adjustment for the user once they've:

a) Gotten a working client
b) Grokked the differences in a checkout

Later I expect to have pain learning the differences in tagging, but no
rush.

Client-wise; Windows seems well supported and I've happily built the
source for the client on OS X and am using it. Fink does not work
well/at-all. --with-ssl is worth remembering as a configure option.

I had pain setting up the server, so got an osjava colleague who gets it a
lot more to set the repo up for me. My server pain was due to odd i18n
issues with SuSE, but we're currently running on FreeBSD without issues.

Checking out is done from a url, so something like:

svn co http://....

which is a bit odd. Also you have to get used to 'HEAD' being 'trunk' and
having it in your directory path [I always have HEAD, but some might not].

The view-cvs [or view-svn really] we have installed has a download as
tar.gz option, which seems to remove the need for users to launch
themselves into needing svn clients, though anyone wanting to patch etc
will still need such a thing.

I know people who are expecting that because SVN uses WebDav, that clients
that talk WebDav like Dreamweaver will work, but a quick test showed that
this is not true. It's effectively read only. My SVN admin tells me it's
because SVN uses extensions like revision numbers to the basic webdav
protocol. Or something like that.

svn status is an improvement over cvs -n update, if only semantically.

Anyway, I'm +1 on moving to it.

Hen