commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject RE: [configuration] Cutting a 1.0 Release Help Needed
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:46:56 GMT
I think that those should all go in quite quickly AFTER a 1.0.  There are
some that really need thinking about.  Like, should we have the core
Commons-Configuration jar, and then an optional jar for the more obscure
stuff like the configuration objects based on the ServletConfig.java class?

Otherones, like the ConfigurationFactory enhancements seem to require a
refactoring of the ConfigurationFactory to handle more "pluggable"
configurators for each Configuration.

Lastly, there are other enhancements like adding Locale that need to be
looked at..  Do they bloat the codebase or not?  Should we be using
something like the [convert] project to deal with converting from String to
boolean,Short, etc?

I don't think that cutting a 1.0 prevents us from doing anything...  I think
cutting a 1.0 says we are serious about moving forward, and want a line in
the sand drawn to say "Yes, we are making progress, we have a 1.0!".   And
"Just wait..  1.1 has feature X and comes out in a month!"

Comments?  If others feel really strongly about not doing a 1.0, then we can
delay, as this is consensus.  However, I have seen too many posts wondering
when [configuration] is going to release something!

Eric