commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Eric Pugh" <>
Subject RE: [configuration] Cutting a 1.0 Release Help Needed
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:46:56 GMT
I think that those should all go in quite quickly AFTER a 1.0.  There are
some that really need thinking about.  Like, should we have the core
Commons-Configuration jar, and then an optional jar for the more obscure
stuff like the configuration objects based on the class?

Otherones, like the ConfigurationFactory enhancements seem to require a
refactoring of the ConfigurationFactory to handle more "pluggable"
configurators for each Configuration.

Lastly, there are other enhancements like adding Locale that need to be
looked at..  Do they bloat the codebase or not?  Should we be using
something like the [convert] project to deal with converting from String to
boolean,Short, etc?

I don't think that cutting a 1.0 prevents us from doing anything...  I think
cutting a 1.0 says we are serious about moving forward, and want a line in
the sand drawn to say "Yes, we are making progress, we have a 1.0!".   And
"Just wait..  1.1 has feature X and comes out in a month!"

Comments?  If others feel really strongly about not doing a 1.0, then we can
delay, as this is consensus.  However, I have seen too many posts wondering
when [configuration] is going to release something!


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Inger, Matthew []
> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 4:44 AM
> To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
> Subject: RE: [configuration] Cutting a 1.0 Release Help Needed
> What about enhancements which have been submitted to the bug
> tracker?  Will those get in?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric Pugh []
> Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 12:29 PM
> To: Commons-Dev
> Subject: [configuration] Cutting a 1.0 Release Help Needed
> Hi all,
> In response to a large number of posts I have recieved both on the mailing
> list and privately regarding when Commons Configuration 1.0 will be
> released, I have gone ahead and applied the last of the patches
> for bugs and
> I would like to cut the RC1 for Commons Configuration.
> The remaining issues in BugZilla are all enhancements or refactorings and
> should be applied post 1.0.
> At this point I am somewhat stuck at the checksum creation stage.  I
> followed the directions from this document:
> for steps
> 1 through
> 3.  However, because Configuration is Maven based, when I run 'maven dist'
> SSH'ed into I get an error about maven not
> existing.  Ant
> works, however it tanks on the junit task.  Do I need to do steps 4,5,6
> SSH'ed in, or can I do them locally and update the results?  I have placed
> some candidates at
> If the Release Candidate 1 files look good to people, then I will
> follow the
> steps here: to cut
> the 1.0 release.  However, I am on winxp, and haven't followed the process
> of creating md5 checksum's etc..   However, if some other kind soul wishes
> to play the Release Manager role, I'd be much obliged to them.
> Eric
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message