commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: thoughts on subversion (was - Re: xdocs/ missing?)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:51:47 GMT
> (a) It seems that there are still some rough edges to the "import cvs
> repository" tool.

There has been a lot of work on it lately, but the only rough edges I know
of tend to be from when people abused CVS.

> (b) Subversion's handling of branches is quite different from CVS.

Branches and tags are lightweight copies.  Alex Karasulu has been using
branches for scratch areas, and enjoying it quite a bit.

> (c) it may be worth waiting until svn client apps are available
> pre-built for most os versions.

I downloaded the source tarball, and did:

   tar zxvf subversion-1.0.1.tar.gz
   cd subversion-1.0.1
   ./configure --with-ssl --enable-all-static
   make

The --with-ssl is important, since otherwise you will not have SSL support.
I added the --enable-all-static because I wanted one statically linked
client, even it it is 5MB.  No fuss, no muss, no dependencies.  If you want
to do the same thing, add --without-berkeley-db to ensure that it won't
build the server.

	--- Noel