commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] End Gump builds for sandbox projects
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:55:03 GMT
> This is a proposal to begin to end the abuse of the sandbox.

I agree with your concern, I disagee with your method.

We are awaiting new hardware.  One of the new machines will be dedicated to
GUMP processing (possibly some other related tasks).  My understanding, and
there are reasons for this, is that the output from the machine will be
reports.  The builds will not be available at all.  That addresses your
concern without breaking the value of GUMP.

  -1 to kill GUMP for sandbox
  -1 to kill it for unreleased projects

Remember: GUMP is for *our* use, and the latter point would mean that no
project within the ASF could even start to use a library until after it had
a formal release, which could lead to a Catch-22.  The whole purpose for
GUMP is to catch problems EARLY in the development cycle, not to be a build
and test server for released components.  The new GUMP configuration will
eliminate the problem of people using GUMP builds, so let's not throw out
the baby with the bathwater.

	--- Noel