commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [releases] lacking releases for .... Was: [sandbox] report
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:32:42 GMT
On 1 Mar 2004, at 13:39, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have estimated release dates for these? and who is
>>> release
>>> manager for each one? [something we should probably make a clause of
>>> sandbox->proper promotion]. If the release manager then vanishes, we
>>> should demote if no one else volunteers.
>>
>> Subtle point - should there be a required release to get to commons
>> out
>> of sandbox?  One issue we're discussing is that code shouldn't depend
>> on sandbox code, as it's supposed to be just a 'play area'.  That
>> said,
>> having users is a great way to clean, refactor and evolve code, so if
>> you can only get to commons from sandbox w/ a release, then we are
>> imposing a bit of a chicken-egg problem, or just releasing for the
>> sake
>> of release, which I think is pointless.
>
> I think this is pretty much the current situation. For most components,
> they move from sandbox to commons with the intention of a release. A
> few
> have just got hung up at the last hurdle :)

i've now had a bit of experience (from various perspectives) with this
and i now think that the best practice is to insist on a speedy base
line release when the component graduates - but this may be a 0.1 (or a
0.5 etc) release rather than a full 1.0 release.

being able to release is an important step between experimental code
and graduating to a fully supported component. some users require
official releases and it's better for other projects to be able to rely
on releases (rather than snapshots) but often components have stumbled
when it comes to fixing the interfaces (which is probably required for
a 1.0 release). a good 1.0 is often a goal which may take months (or
years) to achieve.

- robert