commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [configuration] Roadmap
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:19:41 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg wrote on Thursday, March 04, 2004 2:48 PM:

> There has been some good ideas coming around [configuration] lately,
> I'd like to suggest a roadmap to sort what needs to be done
> before the 1.0
> release and what could be added later:
>
> configuration 1.0
>
> - make PropertiesConfiguration a full replacement for
> ExtendedProperties: add headers to .properties files (Bug 26092) and
> make Configuration extend Map.

remove here also the dependency to StringUtils (just used to handle an empty String). Basic
idea - if I just use properties and DOM, I would like to have the least number of dependencies
as possible. If other lang functionality would have been used here, no problem - but *not*
for an empty String test ...

> - comma separated values revamp
> - DOM4J dependency removal

Working on this. I understand correctly, that this just means support of DOM, but no deprecation
of JDOM ?

> - add DatabaseConfiguration support to the ConfigurationFactory

Working also on a "pluggable" ConfigurationFactory. What is the intension for the functionality
of the current ConfigurationFactory ? Support any Configuration type (= backward compatibility)
? I would introduce an AbtractConfigurationFactory refactoring the common parts. Name of the
PluggableConfigurationFactory (ConfigurableConfigurationFactory <g>) ? Introduce a Jdk14ConfigurationFactory
(with least number of dependencies) ?

> - remaining bugs (26944, 26534, 27427)
> - more documentation, examples and tutorials

Will provide unit tests and docs for my new classes.

> configuration 1.1
>
> - reloadable configurations
> - web configurations
> - additionnal types (URL, Locale, Date, Calendar, Color)
> - list getters for all types
> - setters for all types
> - INI file support
> - system properties interpolation (Bug 26066)

Can we introcuce a basic support for 1.0 (I will need this anyway)? I am thinking of a SystemPropertyConfiguration
as singleton. Does that make sense? You could use it in a composition. Or do you think of
an implicit support in interpolateHelper ?

> - ConfigurationFactory refactoring for pluggable extensions

See above - already on the way.

> configuration 1.2
>
> - comments & layout preservation in .properties files
> - JMX integration ?
> - Preference API integration ?
> - observable configurations ?

Regards,