commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject [Digester] New rules
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:41:50 GMT
Hi folks,

what about adding new rules to digester? In my project I have two rules I can share:

1) AddToMapRule

Ctors:
    AddToMapRule(int stackPosition, String key)
    AddToMapRule(Map map, String key)

The rule will peek the top level element of the stack and put it into a map. The map can be
provided from the outside or is expected at the given stack position (generated by a previous
rule). The key is requested as property from the top level element using the PropertyUtils.

Example:
    digester.addObjectCreate("data", HashMap.class);
    digester.addSetNext("data", "setItems");
    digester.addObjectCreate("data/item", Item.class);
    digester.addRule("data/item", new AddToMapRule(1, "id"));
    digester.addCallMethod("data/item/id", "setId", 0, new Class[] { Integer.class });
    digester.addCallMethod("data/item/origin", "setOrigin", 0);

2) DateFormatterRule

Ctors:
    DateFormatterRule(DateFormat format)

The rule is used to convert an entry to a Date and push it onto the stack. The rule was not
realized as Parameter rule, since the API prohibits the call of peekParams and pushParams
(package scope instead of protected). See also Alex' mail about the subject.

Example:
    digester.addRule("data/item/time", new DateFormatterRule(new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd
hh:mm:ss"));
    digester.addSetNext("data/item/time", "setTime");

All of the rules support toString, the logger and have unit tests.

Are you interested and what do I have to do for the donation?

Regards,
Jörg