commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Inger, Matthew" <In...@Synygy.com>
Subject RE: [Configuration] IniFile
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:01:37 GMT
using a "." as the separator is not the ideal thing to do, as
there may be a "." in the section name.  I'm not sure what you
mean by the API used in util.pref

Secondly, reading in all the ini files should be the job of the
application, not the IniFile class.  If you want multiple files,
you should construct an instance for each of them (I'm pretty
confident that this is what is done for Gnome/KDE)

-----Original Message-----
From: cmanolache@yahoo.com [mailto:cmanolache@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 4:08 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [Configuration] IniFile

The "ini" format is also used by Gnome/KDE ( and quite a few other
non-windows programs ), so I preffer the first.

Regarding key representation - why would you use [section_name]keyName ???
Never seen this pattern - in any config API I ever used.

Could you just use the same pattern ( and API ) that is used in java
util.pref ?

BTW, IMO the correct naming would also include the file name ( minus
prefix ), since it's common practice to have multiple ini files. If the
class is initialized with a directory name, it could use this to support
multiple ini files ( like is the case for gnome / kde ).

Costin