commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Edelson, Justin" <Justin.Edel...@mtvi.com>
Subject RE: [digester] mixed content update
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:36:42 GMT
I looked at the NodeCreateRule approach, but this removes much of what I
like about Digester - no DOM code, very declarative, and ease of rule
reuse (especially with wildcard patterns).

Since coding these changes, I've rethought whether or not this needs to
be a subclass - since @text() can't be a legal XML element, existing
code shouldn't be affected. After starting to duplicate all of the
existing Digester test cases to run against my new subclass, I realized
this was more copy and paste then I really wanted to do and modified the
current Digester.java from CVS and all of the test cases passed.

I'd like to go ahead and submit the patches & test cases into bugzilla,
but would like to get a reading on whether or not my original assumption
was correct - is a new subclass (MixedContentDigester) more or less
likely to get submitted to CVS then a patch to Digester - all other
things (documentation, unit tests, the code itself)?

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 11:00 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List; Edelson, Justin
Cc: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: [digester] mixed content update

Quoting "Edelson, Justin" <Justin.Edelson@mtvi.com>:

> I created a subclass of Digester (MixedContentDigester) to do this.
> Along with a new rule (see below), it passes my simple test case.
> Would this be useful code to add? I figured creating the subclass
> would make this easier to integrate as it doesn't break anything.

In addition to this approach, take a look at NodeCreateRule (in version
1.4 or later), contributed by Christopher Lenz.  It is designed to
swallow mixed content and give you back a DOM of the body content of the
matched element (which still has to be well formed XML).

Craig McClanahan

> In short, I create a new abstract class called TextRule and a concrete

> class AddTextRule. When startElement() on the MixedContentDigester is
> called, before the rules are invoked, a search is done for rules
> matching match + /@text (was it you, Scott, who threw this out on the
> 2002 thread? I forgot, but it looked good to me). The AddTextRule's
> body() method gets called and the bodyText StringBuffer is emptied.
> Something simlilar happens on the call to endElement().
>
> This is probably not the best explanation, but it does work.
>
> The idea of the abstract TextRule class was that you could have
> different TextRule, not all of which did something like "adding."
> Perhaps it should just be called CallTextMethodRule (a lot of the rule

> code is closely related to that in CallMethodRule). I did, however,
> create another rule called AddTrimmedTextRule and was thinking about
> AddNormalizedTextRule (using JDOM's definition of "normalized")...
>
> Justin

discussion from
> 	> early 2002 on this subject. It looks like the net result of
that
> 	> discussion was that, in my example above, the content
"beginning text
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta
> 	> .apache.org&msgId=72369).
> 	>
> 	> I'll happily give up using Digester to accomplished by
mixed-content
> 	> project and switch to JDOM (or even look at the Avalon
Configuration