commons-dev mailing list archives

From Forrest Girouard <Forrest.Girou...@openwave.com>
Subject Re: native memory leak on every call to File.deleteOnExit()
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:30:11 GMT

On Mar 3, 2004, at 6:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>> I am.  Code intended for server use should be audited to remove that
>>> call.
>
>> I wasn't aware that there were any expectations in this area.  Can
>> you explain further?
>
> See the bug parade.  I suspect I know whose quotes are there
> explaining the
> problem.

I'm well aware of bug id 4513817
(http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4513817.html)
but inferred perhaps incorrectly from your comment that there is a
well-known process under which Jakarta components must be handled in
order to be used in a server setting.

>>> If someone wants to create an alternative using phantom
>>> references, that would be fine, and generally useful.
>
>> I know what phantom references are in theory but I've not yet used
>> them
>> personally.  Can you give me any further information on how this might
>> be done?
>
> See:
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2002/jw-0104-java101.html for
> an intro to PhantomeReferences.

Like I said I know what PhantomReferences are I just wanted to know how
you thought they might be most effectively employed for the issue at
hand.

> If no one gets to this, I might hack a TemporaryFile class, but I've
> got
> higher priority items on my plate at the moment.

In case it's not obvious nothing has higher priority for me at the
moment, I'm on this 24/7 until I have a work around and/or solution.

Cheers,
	Forrest