commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Digester] New rules
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:37:25 GMT
On 4 Mar 2004, at 07:59, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 11:54 PM:

<snip>

>> In some ways it's nice,
>> because it is obvious to users, but of course every rule
>> added to Digester increases the jar size, the API complexity,
>> and the maintenance load.
>
> Will this be addressed in Digester2 ? I was really astonished, that
> the digester itself has a method for any known rule. This makes the
> usage of self-written ones not too obvious. Personally I would
> eliminate/deprecate all of them and just offer addRule. But this is
> getting OT for this thread, for D2 I have other annotations anyway :)

users pretty much demand that these methods are added.

the problem is that these methods do introduce an unhelpful coupling
and add to the footprint. it's just one of those things that's
unfortunate but probably not positively harmful.

one of the solutions that i've been turning over in my mind would be to
introduce a DigesterEngine superclass that would be a minimal
stripped-down version without the dependency on those rules. that could
be done without breaking backwards compatibility. on the other hand,
i've never felt motivated to add this since it's not really an itch for
me.

- robert