commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:04:47 GMT
On 1 Mar 2004, at 10:49, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

<snip>

> I still feel bad with this automated mass relicensing, it looks too
> hasty to me compared to relicensings performed on others projets,
> Mozilla spent more than 1 year to change its license. I think there
> should be a thorough code review identifying all contributors and
> ensuring they have either signed the CLA or agreed on the relicensing.
>
> I hope someone will hear me :)

not when you're shouting on the wrong list :)

(sorry to be sounding like a broken record but this isn't an effective
place to raise issues like this.)

FWIW the issue for the ASF is legal risk. mozilla had the financial
backing of a huge and wealthy corporation. they can afford to fight
long and hard in the courts. the ASF is tiny and poor, backed by a
small number of software developers. i'm definitely willing to cut the
ASF members a lot of slack since they are accepting a level of personal
risk to bring you all this open source software.

- robert