commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Gregory" <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: Proposal for the Commons Sandbox
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:45:26 GMT
Hello,

The set up you describe, if at all possible, seems too twisty to me.

Here is what you could consider, perhaps one of:

(0) Do nothing: you and your users are happy to use Jestr and/or
commons-lang. I assume this is a no-go since you posted your message to
commons-dev ;-)
(1) Simple: Merge Jestr into builder. No functor dependency.
(2) Recast Jestr as a sandbox project extending and depending on
commons-lang. This is kind of like (1) but with the added overhead of it
being an extra project.

No matter what, I would start by outlining what additional features this
would give commons-lang. I took a brief look at the Jestr page, and I am
a bit busy right now (aren't we all!). For example, I noticed something
to do with configuring the component from a file, which the builder
package does not do for ToStringBuilder. So that's an interesting delta.
Instead of making everyone figure out for themselves what the deltas are
between [lang] and Jestr, why not provide a list? This way everyone can
say, whether or not such and such a feature makes sense to add.

Then you can write bugzilla tickets for each new feature and go at it.

Side note: Personally, I am no fan of functors. There is no such thing
as Smalltalk block in Java, very sad, and trying to emulate such things
with interfaces is, IMHO, just too heavy handed and looks very
cumbersome syntactically.

Cheers,
Gary

;-)