commons-dev mailing list archives

From Forrest Girouard <Forrest.Girou...@openwave.com>
Subject Re: native memory leak on every call to File.deleteOnExit()
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:35:02 GMT

On Mar 3, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Is any one on this list aware that every call to File.deleteOnExit()
>> leaks memory in the native heap?
>
> I am.  Code intended for server use should be audited to remove that
> call.

Ok.  I wasn't aware that there were any expectations in this area.  Can
you explain further?  Is there other calls that need to be "removed"
for server use?

> It is not a bug.  It is working as designed (the merit of that design
> being

Ok.

> beside the point).  If someone wants to create an alternative using
> phantom
> references, that would be fine, and generally useful.

I know what phantom references are in theory but I've not yet used them
personally.  Can you give me any further information on how this might
be done?

Thanks,
	Forrest