commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [jelly] basic JAXB/jaxme tag library
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:54:15 GMT
On 9 Mar 2004, at 20:38, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> On 9-Mar-04, at 20:55 Uhr, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> On 9 Mar 2004, at 08:43, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so that doesn't solve the distribution of namespace.jar then
>>> which is one or two interfaces just like was jaxp.jar... or do I
>>> misunderstand ?
>>
>> these ship as part of the jaxmeapi. (again, these classes are clean
>> room implementations from the relevant specifications.) so it's just
>> one jar :)
>
> OK, I've finally downloaded and everything.
>
> Well, there seems to be the same magic between jaxbapi and xml-apis...
> namely, Apache licensed javax packages... I have no real problem with
> this but I remember explicitly reading just about everywhere in JDK
> licenses that I was not allowed to write things in packages java or
> javax...
>
> So Apache foundation maybe never did download JDK so does it for me
> and everyone is happy (I am, with such a license!), correct ?

that's the general idea.

the specification download grants a limited license to implement the
specification (including classes with the javax package space) from the
specification but it's easy and safer for an organization like apache
to do this than an individual. dims (as web services chair) has access
to legal resources and experience of clean room implementations.

- robert