commons-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: [releases] lacking releases for .... Was: [sandbox] report
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:08:39 GMT

On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> In addition, we have commons-proper projects without a release:
>
> IO
> Jelly
> Jexl
> Launcher
> Math
>
> Does anyone have estimated release dates for these? and who is release
> manager for each one? [something we should probably make a clause of
> sandbox->proper promotion]. If the release manager then vanishes, we
> should demote if no one else volunteers.

Subtle point - should there be a required release to get to commons out
of sandbox?  One issue we're discussing is that code shouldn't depend
on sandbox code, as it's supposed to be just a 'play area'.  That said,
having users is a great way to clean, refactor and evolve code, so if
you can only get to commons from sandbox w/ a release, then we are
imposing a bit of a chicken-egg problem, or just releasing for the sake
of release, which I think is pointless.

> ***
>
> To get started, I'm currently viewing myself as IO release manager and
> have been slowly moving along. All code is now javadoc'd as much as
> needs
> be and classes that will not go in 1.0 have been identified. 3 Unit
> tests
> remain to be finished.

I'll do jexl...

geir