commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: [convert] conversion with default values
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:51:02 GMT
Hello Stephen,

Saturday, March 20, 2004, 2:13:21 AM, you wrote:
>> >to Integer. The trick is then to design a combination engine to allow
>> >StringBuffer to Integer by combining StringBuffer to String plus String
>> >to Integer.

>> Sounds interesting. Do you have already concrete ideas how such a
>> combination engine would look like? I have thought about converters
>> working together in a kind of chain, too, e.g. for String to Integer
>> These are all slightly different use cases that should be supported by
>> such an engine. What do you think?

SC> Ron Blasch had some ideas on how this might work. I've cced to see if he
SC> wants to comment.

Thanks Stephen.  I'd really like to move convert forward, but received
very litte feedback to my last posts, so I thought nobody cared too
much.
I have:
- some ideas how the convert lib should look, which I think would also
solve the problems mentioned in this thread
- a working prototype of most of my ideas
- lots of enthusiasm to move convert forward

Stephen, how should we proceed?  Would it be worth, and possible, for me
to get commit access?  Or should I keep sending things to you and/or the
list?

Ron