commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester][PROPOSAL] named stacks
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:26:29 GMT
On 7 Mar 2004, at 21:53, Simon Kitching wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 08:37, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> i've committed an implemention plus some documentation.
>
> Do you want this to be in the next release (which is hopefully very
> soon)?
>
> Unless you are very confident in the current design, it may be better
> wait until after the release to add this significant new API. That way,
> there is a complete release cycle for people to play with the idea,
> build stuff on top of it and provide feedback, etc.

i'd say that this is a call that is best made later. the actual API is
pretty simple and i have been thinking about it for a long while. there
are a small number of choices which might be made differently but i'm
hoping that these will shake down pretty quickly.

from my perspective, the major stumbling block (as far as creating
another digester release goes) is finding a volunteer from the jakarta
pmc who's willing to cut the release. (i wouldn't block a release by a
non-pmc member but i wouldn't offer active support either. note that
this is my personally opinion and most other people see things a little
differently.)

the next digester release could be as soon as craig's cut
commons-logging or could be months or even years away. so, i'd prefer
to take a view as to what should be when we're ready to create a
release plan.

- robert