commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <>
Subject Re: [digester] runtime version info
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:33:39 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>"This class implements the upcoming standard of having
>org.apache.project-name.Version.getVersion() be a standard way to get
>version information."
>That's news to me.  I suspect it is news to most.  As far as I know, it may
>be someone's strawman and/or wishful thinking, but this is the first I have
>heard about it.
It's news to me too (maybe it's an XML-land thing?).

It also sounds pretty much redundant with the existing JDK mechanisms
for version discovery (which are based on information in
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF).  In particular, check out the javadocs for
java.lang.Package and the associated information on Package Version
Identification in the JDK docs.  See, for example:

If your project is a good citizen about creating MANIFEST.MF files in
your JARs, you get this stuff for free.

>	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: