commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Issue with subset and substitution
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:30:42 GMT
The problem HierarchicalConfiguration and related stuff had with
SubsetConfiguration has to do with code in the ConfigurationXMLDocument
class that tries to determine a correct ConfigurationXMLReader
implementation for a passed in Configuration object. This code tests if
the Configuration object is instance of HierarchicalConfiguration and
this test breaks if a SubsetConfiguration is passed.

I originally had suggested to add a getXMLReader() method to the
Configuration interface. This would solve out problem now
(ConfigurationXMLDocument could simply call this method and work on the
returned reader). The reason why we decided against this was to keep the
  interface simple and not add methods for a probably rarely used feature.

Oliver

Jörg Schaible schrieb:
> Eric Pugh wrote:
>

>>>If you have a closer look, it is quite obvious, why it does not
>>>work, since "subset" will mask now anything including the system
>>>properties. It seems that the values were resolved first in the
>>>previous version ...
>>>
>>>Comments?
>

>>I think you are right..  I update scarab (scarab.tigris.org) to use the
>>latest, and am having subset issues there as well...
>

> I did not want to create an issue in first place, since I was not sure, if
> such a resolving is really the "right" thing to do, but we should have a
> look at the old implementation. Basically I like the SubsetConfiguration a
> lot more than the old stuff. The (solved) problem with the
> HierarchicalConfiguration is also just because of a design flaw there and
> primilary not becasue of Subset itself.
>
> Additionally I do not grok why the TestJNDIConfiguration now fails for the
> getKeys call. It seems not to be different from the former implementation,
> but I am sure, the tests did not fail previously.
>
> I've created an BugZilla issue for the fixed POM though ...
>
> Regards,
> Jörg

Dipl.-Inform. Oliver Heger
Zentrale Informationsverarbeitung (ZIV) / Bereich Anwenderverfahren
Klinikum der Philipps-Universität Marburg
Bunsenstraße 3,
D-35037 Marburg
Tel: +49 6421 28-66592
mailto:oliver.heger@med.uni-marburg.de