commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] plugins patch - how best to post for review?
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2004 04:31:50 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 09:45, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>

>>Quoting Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz>:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've got a significant patch ready for Digester's plugins module.
>>>
>>>It refactors the existing code that currently locates the dynamic rules
>>>for a plugin into a Strategy pattern with a number of predefined
>>>strategies matching the old code.
>>>
>>>The patch also fixes a number of outstanding issues, particularly to do
>>>with hard-wired xml attribute names.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering what the best thing to do with all this is.
>>>

>>Your best bet would be a branch, not just a tag.  That way, you can do the
>>development in parallel on your branch, and we can (if we like it at the end)
>>merge into the HEAD when we're satisfied.  Robert is doing something similar on
>>Betwixt.
>>
>>As for a name, something like "DIGESTER_PLUGIN_REFACTORING_BRANCH" or something
>>would be good -- it includes both the name of the component the branch is for
>>(since we all share the same repository) and makes it clear that this is a
>>branch tag, not just a marker tag.
>>

>Ok. I've never used CVS branches before, but I'm willing to give it a
>shot.
>
>Should I tag the whole digester repository with this branch-tag, or just
>the
>   src/java/org/apache/commons/digester/plugins and
>   src/test/org/apache/commons/digester/plugins
>subdirectories that are affected?
>
>Regards,

I would suggest we create the branch in the top-level "digester"
directory.  Once you get started on something like this, you never
really know how many directories you'll end up touching.

Creating a branch is easy:

  cd $JAKARTA_COMMONS_HOME/digester
  cvs update -dP
  cvs tag -b DIGESTER_PLUGIN_REFACTORING_BRANCH

Now, you can switch your workspace to work on the branch:

  cd $JAKARTA_COMMONS_HOME/digester
  cvs update -dP -r DIGESTER_PLUGIN_REFACTORING_BRANCH

or back to the HEAD:

  cd $JAKARTA_COMMONS_HOME/digester
  cvs update -dP -A

(although I tend to keep separate checkout directories for parallel
branches when I'm working on both in a situation like this).

>Simon

Craig