commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject Re: [CLI] Application utility class (was Re: [CLI] PatternOptionBuilder)
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:25:09 GMT
Rob Oxspring wrote:

> Moving to the list for wider comment. (will reply separately)

Maybe ApplicationHelper?  Dunno.  I think I get where you're coming from
though; while the api is pretty application agnostic, it would also be
good to help out those that simply want to hit the ground running.  It
would be much more prescribing of how people write their application
than the API but it would be totally optional.

> I'm a bit confused on the createOptions() method -- do I have this right
> by returning a Group containing all the Options?  Perhaps you could show
> me or point me to an example of what this method's implementation might
> look like.

Yeah - I'd have it returning a Group instance.  Implementations would
grab a GroupBuilder and pretty much look like the majority of the test
cases in o.a.c.cli2.apps.

> If I wanted the Application class to add "standard" options like --help
> and --verbose should I just add those to the Group that is returned?

Absolutely.

> In my 1.0 version the abstract class held an instance of Options and the
> abstract method was
>
>   protected abstract addOption(Option);

This could still be done instead of the createOptions() method.  It
would simply mean that the Application class is responsible for creating
the Group rather than the option.