commons-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: moving JAM to org.apache.jam
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:38:22 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote: [comments on stuff about JAM by Patrick Calahan]
---

For those on the CC list: JAM is a metadata library combining features
of the reflection API, JSR 175, commons-attributes, JClass and some
other projects:

     http://www.pcal.net/jam

that Patrick just introduced on general@incubator. First impression:
good stuff! Seems like a much better implementation of something I
thought about here:

    http://www.jroller.com/comments/lsd?anchor=rethinking_attributes

it would be so cool if you (Patrick) and Leo Sutic (the guy who wrote
the current commons-sandbox-attributes) could get together and merge
these two codebases (commons-attributes has some strengths that jam
seems to lack, like being smaller and having what seems like a cleaner
and easier runtime API, and vice versa the same is true of course) into
a new de facto standard.

Though I can't commit time to help coding right now, I'll volunteer to
otherwise help you out with a quick progression through whatever process
into whatever final destination. As to destination, jakarta-commons
seems a natural choice to me. As to process, if jakarta-commons wants
the code, you have a CLA on file, and the code was developed completely
within an ASF repo @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need to have this go
through incubation. It would just be up to jakarta-commons to accept it.
The package name then would probably become org.apache.commons.meta or
something like that.

Please direct replies to general@incubator and drop the CC list.

--
cheers,