commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math][proposal] stat package structure
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:19:12 GMT

>>Maybe it should be organized more along the following lines?
>>
>>o.a.c.m.stat.probability...
>>o.a.c.m.stat.univariate...
>>o.a.c.m.stat.multivariate...
>>o.a.c.m.stat.inference...
>

> I'm not very picky about these names, either, as I'm not a
> probability/statistics person, as I said before.  If others like the above,
> that's fine by me.

I like inference better than test, since it is broader (e.g. would make a
natural home for confidence intervals) but I don't like probability since
it is IMHO too broad for its contents, which are just probability
distributions.  I also do not buy the argument that people will think that
/src/java/o/a/c/m/stat/distribution contains binaries or some such.

Phil