commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject [math][proposal] stat package structure
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:14:12 GMT
I would like to propose the following repackaging of classes in the stat
and distributions packages.

1. Move the univariate statistical aggregates (DescriptiveStatistics,
SummaryStatistics et al) into the univariate package.

2. Move distributions back into stat. I did not comment on the initial
move out, but it seems wrong to me now.  The abstract classes and all
implementations are probability distributions. To me these fit naturally
in stat.  I can live with it as is; I just wanted to see if others are
feeling the same and if so, get it fixed while we still have the chance.

3. Create a "multivariate" subpackage and place the lonely
BivariateRegression there.  It is odd to have a package with only one
class, but I think the probability is 1 that we will quickly have more
multivariate statistical classes (e.g. multiple regression) and I would
prefer not to have to play the deprecate-move game if we can see it coming.

4. Similarly, I would like to create an "inference" or "test" subpackage
and put TestStatistic there.

Please indicate your +/-/0 on these items separately. I am viewing each of
the items subject to lazy consensus. I will wait one week to make any changes.

Input from all parties welcome, committers binding.

Phil