commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] CharUtils.isAscii methods and CharSet, two issues
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:40:16 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> There is a second task that [lang] had which has been lost over time by
> various changes that people have made. That is that [lang] should be a
> repository of code that people can cut and paste to their own code.
>
> This may scare some, but it is actually quite sensible. Not eveyone wants to
> pull in the entire [lang] library when they only want a couple of functions.
> (I fully understand there are many ramifications of cut and paste, but it
> was IMHO part of the intent of [lang]).

I've done the cut-and-paste quite a few times actually.  Using Maven
makes including new libraries easy, but when I'm on a project that is
strictly Ant I'll cut and paste maybe 5 or so methods before including
the jar.

I also believe [lang] is simple enough that, even if there are quite a
few intra-class dependencies, it wouldn't make the cutting and pasting
that much harder.  When I've had to include extra classes I just make
them package private.