commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] CharUtils.isAscii methods and CharSet, two issues
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:56:25 GMT
Todd V. Jonker wrote:
> As is stands, isAsciiAlphaUpper follows
> DoTheSimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyWork but (perhaps) breaks
> OnceAndOnlyOnce.
>
> Still, I think the existing code is better.  Such things tend to be
> called inside tight inner loops, and as such every bytecode counts.  Your
> suggested rewrite adds no functional improvement while increasing the
> execution time manyfold.  I strongly suggest leaving it as-is.

I think that running some performance tests would provide the best
insight into possible effects on execution time.  Gary, maybe you could
write a small test to see if this change truly would cause a performance
problem?

There are lots of good changes that don't add any functional improvement
at the machine level, but a more OO solution may very well improve
things at the maintenance and class heirarchy level.