commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [all][site] Site menu proposal
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:39:29 GMT
OK, most people want the component specific menus & the Project
Documentation together.
http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/dbcp/index.html

What is left is the question if we want a list of (sandbox) components
in the left menu or not.

The current proposal (option 1) is to have 2 collapsed menu items in
the top menu.
(a) http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/index.html

They are only expanded when you are on the componets/sanbox page.
(b) http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/components.html
(c) http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/sandbox.html

On the other general pages and on the component specific pages they
are collapsed.
(d) http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/contributors.html
(e) http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons-site2/dbcp/configuration.html

This has the advantage that if a new component is created only a few
pages have to be updated (b or c).
The [+] is also nice because it is a visual reminder there is more to
find behind the item.

Option 2: same menu but do not expand the menu on pages b & c.

Option 3: expand the components menu on a,b,c,d (and move to bottom)

Option 4: expand the components & sandbox menu on a,b,c,d
           (and move to bottom)

Option 5: expand the components menu on a,b,c,d,e
           (and move to bottom)

Option 6: expand the components & sandbox menu on a,b,c,d,e
           (and move to bottom)

My preference is to the current one (option 1). Option 5 & 6 would
require a full site rebuild of all components when a new component is
added. Option 3 is not very fair to the sandbox components wanting
more visibility to grow.

I would put 2 tables with all components on the homepage. Implemented
with reusable XML entities the tables will be the same as on the
components & sanbox pages.

Can we then agree on option 1 or 2 if we add these tables on the homepage?

Other options?

-- Dirk