commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for the Commons Sandbox
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:08:58 GMT
David Gilliland wrote:
> I have recently started a project in the Java Foundry on Sourceforge called "Jestr",

> and it seems like it might be a natural fit for the Jakarta Commons project.  You can
read about it here:

> http://jestr.sourceforge.net
>
> The project uses many Jakarta Commons components and is released under the Apache Software
License.
 > Jestr is still Beta software and I would not recommend it for
promotion to the Commons proper at this
 > point (besides, it depends on the Functor component which is
currently sandboxed), but I'd like to offer it
 > for inclusion in the Commons Sandbox.
>
> I just wanted to gauge whether there was any interest in accepting it here.  If so, I
would of course rename
 > the root package from "jestr" to "org.apache.commons.jestr", or
perhaps "org.apache.commons.stringify".
 > Other than that there would be little to change, since Jestr uses the
standard Jakarta Commons build and
 > directory structure (I cannibalized the Functor component's build.xml).

At a glance, this looks interesting.

I sometimes wish that there was a way to define and "register" things at
runtime like toString()s, comparators,
equals(), and converters without having to modify the actual class.  So
that instead of having to make an explicit call
to your special toString(), it would just magically happen.  But, I
guess this is what AOP is for.