commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Re: Alternative module descriptors
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:25:41 GMT
>>But there are couple Java scripting languages that can be used -
>>Beanshell and Groovy that I know of. Again with a Java class the
>>configuration is rather too verbose and the interpreted scripting
>>alternative looks attractive for the boring monotony.
>

> Peanut gallery here. ;-)
>
> Every web app already has XML parsing and manipulation available to it.
> Adding a scripting language interpreter as well seems a bit heavyweight to
> me.

This is from out of left field since I haven't yet worked with Hivemind,
but perhaps
if there was a pure Java API for setting up the configuration, people
could do it
in any way that they wanted (Jython, Groovy, whatever).

Maybe there could be some type of JavaBean hierarchy representing the
different
services and extension points, etc.

The XML configuration method could remain as a sensible default.