commons-dev mailing list archives

From Harish Krishnaswamy <hkrishnasw...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Re: Alternative module descriptors
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:07:36 GMT

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

>Another approach for users who don't like hand-coding XML documents is a
>purpose-driven GUI tool to edit the configuration file.  For example, James
>Holmes has created such a tool (runs either standalone or as a plugin for a
>bunch of different IDEs) for both Struts and JavaServer Faces configuration
>files:
>
>  http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/console/
>  http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/console/

Hand-coding the xml configs is actually not my primary concern. Infact I
prefer to hand-code it (with context sensitive help ofcourse!) over
using a GUI. But it seems to me that a scripting language is more apt
for the kind of configuration that HiveMind does. In fact a lot of my
current configurations are actually OGNL statements that are simply
accumulated and provided to my service which executes them. It seems
rather silly to write all this XML to simply create a list of objects.
If a scripting language is used instead the framework becomes far, far
simpler for configuration management. None of digester style schema
specifications and parsing are required.

-Harish