commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] nightly build failure
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:36:12 GMT
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, this is a poor test which can fail randomly, it
> think it needs some more work so that it doesn't cause building to fail
> when it does fail.

As the output says, the test will fail with probability 1 in 1000, even if
there code is working properly.  What is being tested is the stochastic
independence of randomly generated hex strings, using a statistical test
(chi-square). I could

(a) modify the test to just log / systout the anomoly instead of failing
(b) remove this and other similar tests (bad idea, IMHO)
(c) omit all of the tests from the build target used by the nightly build
(what I was planning to do for gump eventually)
(d) reduce the sensitivity of the test (so that is is, say 1 in 1000000
failure -- also a bad idea, IMHO)
(e) don't worry, be happy, the build will succeed tomorrow :-)

I guess that I favor (a) for the nightlies, but (c) for gump.

Phil