commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [digester] Tomcat4 and sun outage
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:19:59 GMT
Hold Everything! Yep, I went back and looked into 
/usr/share/tomcat4/common/lib ... and sure enough, the symlinks to the 
api are missing on that machine ... Now if I can only find the culprit! ;-)


Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Well, I had to go through all my webapplications on one machine and 
> replace any external references to the dtd with localized copies, 
> somehow, I got the one machine running again by doing this, the second 
> machine, I went through and did this again, but instead of the server 
> coming up with the webapplications loading properly, I got this error 
> instead.
> 
> These are tomcat4-4.1.27-2jpp rpm's running on Redhat 7.3 with Apache 1.3
> 
> The dependencies from JPackage are such that the servlet api gets 
> installed independnently of tomcat4 using
> 
> servletapi4-4.0.4-3jpp
> 
> bash-2.05a# rpm -ql servletapi4
> /usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4
> /usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4/LICENSE
> /usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4/README.txt
> /usr/share/java/servletapi4-4.0.4.jar
> /usr/share/java/servletapi4.jar
> 
> My thinking that it has something to do with the DTD came from
> 
>  at
>  >> org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:
>  >> 593)
> 
> Which suggested to me that it was being mischevious and somehow throwing 
> the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError after attempting to do something with 
> the digester, something which required the validation of a DTD before 
> determining the name of a class?
> 
> I could be crazy, but these machines were running fine before sun went 
> down today. I even have one running which I'm afraid to restart because 
> I might loose it on reload.
> 
> -Mark
> 
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> 
>> hi mark
>>
>> a couple of observations that makes me think that perhaps you're on 
>> the  wrong track:
>>
>> 1. AFAIK tomcat uses an internal catalog version of the standard sun  
>> DTDs and so providing that the DOCTYPE description is correct, the  
>> parser should not attempt to retrieve the DTD from the DOCTYPE uri.  
>> (perhaps craig or Jean-Francois will be able to give a more  
>> authoritative statement about tomcat.)
>>
>> 2. the stack trace looks strange (for a DTD uri issue). the exception  
>> seem to concern a j2ee class (ServletException) that appears to be  
>> missing from the classpath. (if it were a DTD loading issue then i'd  
>> expect to see an io-related exception thrown.)
>>
>> - robert
>>
>> On 2 Mar 2004, at 21:42, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I'm noticing difficulty in starting up my tomcat servers, that seems  
>>> to arise in the digester. I suspect this is caused by the digester  
>>> having difficulty acquiring the dtd due to the Sun site being down?  
>>> Does anyone have any tips on localizing the the dtd referenced here?
>>>
>>>
>>> Mar 2, 2004 4:38:48 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester  
>>> startElement
>>> SEVERE: Begin event threw error
>>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletException
>>>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
>>>         at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1647)
>>>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1131)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector$1.run(Introspector.java:1126)
>>>         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>>         at  
>>> java.beans.Introspector.getPublicDeclaredMethods(Introspector.java: 
>>> 1124)
>>>         at  
>>> java.beans.Introspector.getTargetMethodInfo(Introspector.java:989)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:370)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:144)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:205)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.<init>(Introspector.java:351)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:144)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptors(Prope 
>>> rtyUtils.java:949)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptors(Prope 
>>> rtyUtils.java:979)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor(Proper 
>>> tyUtils.java:887)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:934)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate(BeanUtils.java:808)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin(SetPropertiesRule.j 
>>> ava:259)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXPar 
>>> ser.java:477)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement( 
>>> XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:805)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDi 
>>> spatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1541)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLD 
>>> ocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:336)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.j 
>>> ava:220)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java: 
>>> 593)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:148)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.jav 
>>> a:1168)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Unknown Source)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
>>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>>         at  
>>> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja 
>>> va:39)
>>>         at  
>>> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso 
>>> rImpl.java:25)
>>>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)
>>> Exception during startup processing
>>> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>>         at  
>>> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.ja 
>>> va:39)
>>>         at  
>>> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccesso 
>>> rImpl.java:25)
>>>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:  
>>> javax/servlet/ServletException
>>>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
>>>         at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1647)
>>>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1131)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector$1.run(Introspector.java:1126)
>>>         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>>         at  
>>> java.beans.Introspector.getPublicDeclaredMethods(Introspector.java: 
>>> 1124)
>>>         at  
>>> java.beans.Introspector.getTargetMethodInfo(Introspector.java:989)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:370)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:144)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:205)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.<init>(Introspector.java:351)
>>>         at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:144)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptors(Prope 
>>> rtyUtils.java:949)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptors(Prope 
>>> rtyUtils.java:979)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor(Proper 
>>> tyUtils.java:887)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:934)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate(BeanUtils.java:808)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin(SetPropertiesRule.j 
>>> ava:259)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXPar 
>>> ser.java:477)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement( 
>>> XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:805)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDi 
>>> spatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1541)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLD 
>>> ocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:336)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.j 
>>> ava:220)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java: 
>>> 593)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:148)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.jav 
>>> a:1168)
>>>         at  
>>> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Unknown Source)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
>>>         ... 5 more
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Mark Diggory
>>> Software Developer
>>> Harvard MIT Data Center
>>> http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
> 

-- 
Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message