commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [digester] Tomcat4 and sun outage
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:12:02 GMT
Well, I had to go through all my webapplications on one machine and
replace any external references to the dtd with localized copies,
somehow, I got the one machine running again by doing this, the second
machine, I went through and did this again, but instead of the server
coming up with the webapplications loading properly, I got this error
instead.

These are tomcat4-4.1.27-2jpp rpm's running on Redhat 7.3 with Apache 1.3

The dependencies from JPackage are such that the servlet api gets
installed independnently of tomcat4 using

servletapi4-4.0.4-3jpp

bash-2.05a# rpm -ql servletapi4
/usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4
/usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/servletapi4-4.0.4/README.txt
/usr/share/java/servletapi4-4.0.4.jar
/usr/share/java/servletapi4.jar

My thinking that it has something to do with the DTD came from

  at
 >> org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:
 >> 593)

Which suggested to me that it was being mischevious and somehow throwing
the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError after attempting to do something with
the digester, something which required the validation of a DTD before
determining the name of a class?

I could be crazy, but these machines were running fine before sun went
down today. I even have one running which I'm afraid to restart because
I might loose it on reload.

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer