commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Which website entity?
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:38:05 GMT
Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin did the initial implementation of this
> menus.dtd for the Betwixt site. (the current main site also uses it
> and the sandbox components I mavenized as well)
>
> I like the way you can put the "About Us" section above the "Commons
> DBCP" without any special scripting.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/
>
> Another advantage is that you can use/reuse different menus between
> the main site and a component site.

I do not disagree that it is flexible. My concern is with maintaining
the "common section" throughout all the subproject sites so that it is
the same in each one, if component A and B can place the parts where ever
they want, then its going to be difficult to maintain a consistent
navigational model for the entire commons. Consistency is important so
users know who to get around the site from within any project.

The site.jsl gives us a full opportunity to adjust where specific
navigation items show up in the navigation without each individual site
needing to configure the "entities" in the navigation.xml

If you want to see specific ordering or toggling of menus to be
shown/not shown, it can be controlled globally across all the sites from
one location. The top level navigation.xml can have specific items
within it, while the subproject navigations can be configured to only
have specific "global" items we designate show up there. The project can
still add whatever custom menus they want, but they appear in a specific
portion of the navigation and cannot alter the global menus.

> For example the "View CVS" and "Download" menus are usefull on the
> main site but on the DBCP site they aren't. There you have a specific
>  downloads page:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/downloads.html

I think we can accomplish this while still maintaining a golobally
consistent site navigation.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory