commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Rubier <insurg...@insurgent.us>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Force loading of Services
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:16:41 GMT
On Wednesday March 24th 2004, Craigmcc wrote:

> Quoting "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hlshiplists@comcast.net>:
> > I'm unconvinced this is necessary. I would tend to think that it is
> > counter-productive. With late
> > building of services (behind proxies), you will see error messages related to
> > the construction of a
> > service just where methods are first invoked on it. With the discussion of
> > forced loading of
> > services, you will see all errors for all services in one ungainly clump.
> >
> Which is exactly what is being requested, and I agree that it would be helpful
> to have this option.  If I've mis-typed a class name or two in my configuration
> file, I'd want to be able to find out when my app first loads, instead of
> having to wait until the first attempt to materialize an instance of that
> particular service.  In a webapp environment, for example, I'd want to do this
> in the contextInitialized() method of a ServletContextListener, and never put
> the app into service if it has configuration problems.
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Craig McClanahan

Perhaps for testing purposes a property like the tapestry disable-caching property could be
available (i.e. org.apache.hivemind.disable-proxies).
Otherwise I'd be inclines to agree with Howard in the even if your service managed to initialize,
it may fail unexpectedly when you go to use it anyway. Since you have to handle that situation
as well,  you would actually end up having less code. i.e. in the contextInitialize, you don't
have to handle any service failures since you're getting proxies and you will be handing them
when you actually use them in the app.