commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] [vote] Release Commons-Net 1.2
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:47:25 GMT
I think you may be referring to something said by a user last week, in which
he "solved" the problem by configuring his NT FTP server to use the "Unix
display format".  I didn't know before that that was an option.  What I still
don't know is if one takes that option, does the SYST command return
"Windows" or "Unix"?  If it's the former, then we have a problem.   It's not
an unsolvable problem because you can always use the form of listFiles() that
takes a parser class name or a different SYST value (e.g. listFiles("UNIX") )
as a parameter, although you can't at present do this from Ant.  (But adding
this capability to Ant is what I'm striving towards.)

A little investigation would be good here.  But we need to remember the point
of autodetection.  It's not foolproof, can't be foolproof, since it depends
on SYST identification which is not necessarily cast in stone.  It is an
attempt to raise the default success rate of using listFiles() out of the box
from maybe 90% to 98%, by autodetecting other cases, the most common of which
is Windows but also OS2, VMS, OS400, etc.  So while we need to strive to
become as good as possible, I don't think we'll ever hit 100%.  FTP is too
loosely specced for that to happen.

Default falling back to unix if other methods fail would involve a much more
complex mechanism in which the program would have to decide ("this isn't
working") and try something else.  While I wouldn't totally rule that out, I
don't at present feel there is enough solid information to justify that
effort.