commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: thoughts on subversion (was - Re: xdocs/ missing?)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:01:51 GMT

--- Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:

<snip>

> (c) it may be worth waiting until svn client apps are available
> pre-built for most os versions. Page
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html has a list of
> packages for various OSes, but the following aren't listed:
>  gentoo
>  mandrake
>  aix
>  hpux
>  solaris
> I don't know the state of prebuilt client apps for these.
>
> (d) Support for svn in tools like eclipse is also only partial at the
> moment. I don't know if Ant has an svn task. etc.

IMO, this is the main blocker.  The eclipse plugin only works on windows
because they use JNI for some reason and have to compile against specific
svn versions.  Until I can mindlessly select menu items from an IDE to
manipulate the repository I'm against leaving cvs.  I agree there are
benefits to switching but they just don't outweigh the pain of poor tool
integration.  IMHO, waiting for svn and the surrounding tools to mature a
bit more is a good idea.

David