commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [codec] Binary BIT_n and BITS question.
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:23:32 GMT
Greg,

> (1) The public Binary.BITS field is not used from anywhere. How is it
> generally useful, it has no Javadoc? Should we get rid of it?

I was planning on using it later when I cleaned up this class a bit.
If you're going for a release feel free to blow it away.  I have not
decided yet whether to leave loops unraveled and ugly or add another
loop to cycle through this array.  I thought it might be better to
unravel it for speed.

> (2) The public Binary.BIT_n fields are only used from Binary. Should
> they really be public fields?

Hmmm I think this might be best kept private but I do use them else where
in applications that depend on Binary however perhaps incorrectly.  Let me
explain below.

I think there really is not that much value to having these constants
since people can just use hex masks on the fly.  But it's proper form to
make them into a constant no?  I thought so and strive to write code
that uses a constant every time I can regardless of data type.  The
question is: When is too much formality too much?  Are we going to
create 8 or 32 constants for each bit in a byte or in an integer?  Do
you think it might be going a little overboard?  The array of masks on
the other hand might be good to have for looping over bit ranges in
bytes and integers.

Another concern is whether or not codec is the place for general stuff
like this.  Personally I think the constants might be better off in a
commons-lang class like BitField or BooleanUtils but do you want
the dependency for such a small benefit.  Are these constants worth
it to incur the dependency?  Then again is it ok for other commons
projects to have a dependency on something like commons-lang which
has no other dependency.  To me commons-lang can be a universal
dependency and get away with it.

Alex