commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@micropole-univers.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] SubsetConfiguration
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:26:52 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Looking at the changes for teh test cases, I have the impression that
>
> conf.setProperty("x.y.z", "1");
> subset = conf.subset("x.y.z.not_there");
>
> will also return an empty configuration, whereas this return value was previously always
just null.

Yes indeed, but since the subset is now synchronized with the parent
configuration I think it's better to return an empty configuration, thus
you can add new keys to the parent through a subset. For example :

Configuration config = new BaseConfiguration();
Configuration subset = config.subset("database");
subset.setProperty("driver", "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
subset.setProperty("url", "jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:1521:service");
subset.setProperty("username", "foo");
subset.setProperty("password", "bar");

config.getProperty("database.driver");