commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@micropole-univers.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Standard DOM ?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:21:57 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Well, this is not what I would like to have, again because of the dom4j dependency. I
already have a HierarchicalDOMConfiguration that is based on the w3c classes only. I just
took the code from HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration and replaced the relevant parts. The same
could be done for a DOMConfiguration. To complete the DOM support a <dom> tag could
be supported by the factory. Also the factory could be refactored so that the most functionality
is in an abstract base class and the derived classes would add the supported tags. ConfigurationFactory
would support anything contained in the configuration package (= backward compatibility) and
the user could create his own factory with the elements he would like to use (and their dependencies).
Additionally this would allow user-defined Configuration classes or the support of DatabaseConfiguration
in the factory.

> What do you think?

I don't know the motivations for using DOM4J, but using the standard
interfaces and removing a dependency is certainly interesting.

A pluggable extension mechanism for the ConfigurationFactory would be
nice too.

Emmanuel