commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@micropole-univers.com>
Subject [configuration] WebConfiguration
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:02:50 GMT
Hi, I'd like to suggest a new configuration implementation that bridges
between parameters commonly used in web applications (servlet, filter,
application and request parameters) and our Configuration interface.

Because I'm tired of writting always the same parsing code like:

public void init(ServletConfig config) {
     try {
         param = Integer.parseInt(config.getInitParameter("param"));
     }
     catch (NumberFormatException e) { }
}

I tought it would be much easier to write instead:

public void init(ServletConfig config) {
     Configuration conf = new WebConfiguration(config);
     param = conf.getInt("param");
}

The WebConfiguration works with 4 types of objets specified in its
constructor: a ServletConfig, a ServletContext, a FilterConfig or a
ServletRequest.

I wrote a test case using mock objects covering the different cases
except for the FilterConfig, the mock lacks a setInitParameter() method.
Also the mock for the ServletRequest sends an exception for unknown
parameters instead of returning null, most of its tests break.

Emmanuel Bourg