commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [digester] runtime version info
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:37:52 GMT
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 18:11, matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> Isn't this sort of thing supposed to be handled by manifest files?  I
> might be oversimplifying.

The initial problem that Xalan faced was people reporting bugs in xalan
when they weren't actually running the version they thought they were,
because Java1.4 bundles Xalan in the jre libs. I personally made a fool
of myself over this a few years ago :-(.

Asking people to run
   java org.apache.xalan.Version
will quickly sort these out.

But there are commonly bug reports for java programs due to people
having old versions in the classpath in less insidious ways. Tomcat and
other containers often cause this problem too,.

In neither case does manually extracting the MANIFEST file from the jar
you *think* you are loading classes from tell you that you *are* in fact
getting those classes at runtime.

Regards,

Simon