commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [HiveMind] Force loading of Services
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:03:43 GMT
Quoting "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hlshiplists@comcast.net>:

> I'm unconvinced this is necessary. I would tend to think that it is
> counter-productive. With late
> building of services (behind proxies), you will see error messages related to
> the construction of a
> service just where methods are first invoked on it. With the discussion of
> forced loading of
> services, you will see all errors for all services in one ungainly clump.

Which is exactly what is being requested, and I agree that it would be helpful
to have this option.  If I've mis-typed a class name or two in my configuration
file, I'd want to be able to find out when my app first loads, instead of
having to wait until the first attempt to materialize an instance of that
particular service.  In a webapp environment, for example, I'd want to do this
in the contextInitialized() method of a ServletContextListener, and never put
the app into service if it has configuration problems.

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Craig McClanahan