commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: thoughts on subversion (was - Re: xdocs/ missing?)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:16:05 GMT
On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 12:36, matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> > What are our thoughts on migrating to subversion? I've not even had time
> > to try it out myself. Though I have it on my list.
>
> I've been using it at work for about 6 months and I like it a lot.
> Being able to easily move and rename directories and files is very cool.
> They seemed to focus on fixing CVS' weaknesses and it looks like they
> did a good job.  It took about a day to get used to, and from then on it
> felt natural.
>
> I recently switched my home server over to Subversion and had some
> problems getting the integration with Apache2 working, but it didn't
> really matter since I prefer the svn+ssh method anyway.

Some issues to watch out for:

(a) It seems that there are still some rough edges to the "import cvs
repository" tool. At least there were about 4 weeks ago, which was when
I unsubscribed from the subversion user list.

(b) Subversion's handling of branches is quite different from CVS.
I didn't manage to get my head around it properly during my brief
experimentation with subversion, but there may be some gotchas in this
area to watch out for.

(c) it may be worth waiting until svn client apps are available
pre-built for most os versions. Page
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html has a list of
packages for various OSes, but the following aren't listed:
 gentoo
 mandrake
 aix
 hpux
 solaris
I don't know the state of prebuilt client apps for these.

(d) Support for svn in tools like eclipse is also only partial at the
moment. I don't know if Ant has an svn task. etc.

Otherwise I agree it is very smooth, comfortingly similar in feel to
CVS, and best of all: *maintained* and *secure* (unlike CVS).

Cheers,

Simon