commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Enhance performance by generating jar file with -0 option
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:06:42 GMT
True,

I think, if developers are actually producing Applets, they have a
tendency to optimize them as much as possible, even un-jaring and
re-wrapping all the classes they are dependent on and eliminating the
classes they never use from the dependency jars. In the case of such
re-wrapping efforts. In such light having the original jars
compressed/uncompressed is unimportant to developers of applets.

That sounds very logical for application and server side tooling. Since
we use Maven primarily to produce builds now in the Commons, I think we
should look into if this can be configured in Maven so that all Commons
Projects use the same strategy.

-Mark

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 18:37, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
> Would you consider generating jar files with the -0 option to store
> files in the jar file without using ZIP compression?
>
> Although this typically doubles the jar file size, it increases class
> not that important here). For example the JDK rt.jar is produced that way.
>
> Compatibility: The -0 option was introduced in JDK 1.2
>
> Also see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/solaris/jar.html
>
> Thanks.
> Wolfgang.

Mark R. Diggory