commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Re: Alternative module descriptors
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:46:39 GMT
Quoting Harish Krishnaswamy <hkrishnaswamy@comcast.net>:

> Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> >The advantage of XML in HiveMind is that it can be used to directly generate
> HiveDoc.
> >

> Yes, I suppose generating hivedoc from the script will be more work.
>
> >I also think that HiveMind's use of XML (both to define services, and to
> contribute configurationd
> >data) is very concise and readable.
> >

> Its concise in XML unit-of-measurement which in itself is an order of
> magnitude more verbose than scripting!

Another approach for users who don't like hand-coding XML documents is a
purpose-driven GUI tool to edit the configuration file.  For example, James
Holmes has created such a tool (runs either standalone or as a plugin for a
bunch of different IDEs) for both Struts and JavaServer Faces configuration
files:

  http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/console/
  http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/console/

> >--
> >Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> >Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
> >http://howardlewisship.com

Craig